Maryland Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in Maryland. Licenses are granted by the Maryland Department of Mental Health and Hygiene .
To qualify to become a licensed professional counselor in Maryland, the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits. Meet supervised clinical experience requirements. For applicants with Master’ degrees, three years with a minimum of 3,000 hours of supervised clinical practice, with at least three years post graduate experience is required. Applicants with doctorates need two years with a minimum of 2,000 hours. 1,000 hours must be completed after the doctorate degree has been awarded.
- Pass the NCE (National Counselor Exam) and the Maryland State Law test.
An application for licensure and other documentation can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors and Therapists
4201 Patterson Avenue, 3rd Floor
Baltimore, MD 21215
Test Content of the NCE
The NCE measures the applicants’ knowledge of the following eight content areas:
- The psychology of Human growth and development
- Socio-cultural diversity
- Establishing Helping relationships
- Group dynamics and group therapy
- Career goals and development
- Assessment of psychopathology and treatment needs
- Research methods and program evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethical practice.
- Fundamental issues in counseling
- The process of counseling
- Diagnostic and assessment services
- Professional practice issues
- Ongoing professional development and the need for clinical supervision and consultation.
For more information, see the NCE Candidate Handbook.
How to Apply to Take the Exam
A PDF of the NCE registration information is available online.
Test Content of the Maryland State Law Test:
The applicant will receive the state law content outline upon approval of their submitted Maryland licensure application. The state law exam is administered at the Board office on the third Wednesday and fourth Thursday of each month.
License or Certification Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, regulations require 40 clock hours of continuing education in acceptable courses and programs offered by approved Continuing Education providers must be completed every two years.
______________________________________________________For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
Five work behaviors are also tested: