Delaware Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in Delaware. Licenses are granted by the Board of Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Professionals
To qualify to become a licensed professional counselor in Delaware the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits.
- Meet clinical experience requirements of 3,200 hours of postgraduate professional counseling, including at least 100 hours of supervision for at least 1600 hours of the clinical experience, in not less than two years, but not more than four years.
- An applicant must earn a passing score on an NBCC (National Board of Certified Counselors) exam, which can be the NCE (National Counselor Exam). Delaware will accept an exam from another certifying organization if certain standards are met.
An application for licensure and other documentation can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Board of Mental Health and Chemical dependency Professionals
861 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904
Test Content of the NCE
The NCE measures the applicants’ knowledge of the following eight content areas:
- The psychology of human growth and development
- Socio-cultural diversity
- Establishing helping relationships
- Group dynamics and group therapy
- Career goals and development
- Assessment of psychopathology and treatment needs
- Research methods andprogram evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethical practice.
- Fundamental issues in counseling
- The process of counseling
- Diagnostic and assessment services
- Professional practice issues
- Ongoing professional development and the need for clinical supervision and consultation.
For more information, see the NCE Candidate Handbook.
How to Apply to Take the Exam
Delaware does not provide NCE registration information until the licensure application is submitted and approved.
The exam is administered by Pearson VUE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, regulations require 40 clock hours of continuing education in acceptable courses and programs offered by approved Continuing Education providers. License renewal is biennial on September 30 of even numbered years.
______________________________________________________For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
Five work behaviors are also tested: