To get licensed in Utah, massage therapists are required to take a massage exam that covers such subjects as anatomy, physiology, pathology and kinesiology. Whether you live in Ogden, Salt Lack City, St. George or another city or county, the resources below will help you get started on the path to receive your massage license.
Need of a Massage License: A massage therapist needs a license to practice massage therapy in Utah.
Who Grants a License: Licenses are granted by the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing.
Qualifications to receive a License: A candidate needs to complete either (1) an apprenticeship program completing at least 1000 hours of supervised training or (2) a curriculum having at least 600 hours of course instruction in massage therapy broken down as follows:
- 285 hours of massage therapy techniques and theories
- 125 hours of anatomy, physiology and kinesiology
- 40 hours of pathology
- 35 hours of massage therapy laws and rules, business practices and ethics
- 15 hours of sanitation, first aid CPR
- 100 clinical hours
The candidate must pass the following exams:
1. Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx).
2. Utah state Law and Rule Examination.
For more information on qualifications, see Utah Massage Therapist Practice Act Rule.
Test Content: The MBLEx exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions with four choices provided for each question. Test takers have 110 minutes to complete the computer based exam.
The exam is divided into eight content areas:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Pathology, Contraindications, Areas of Caution, Special Populations
- Benefits and Physiological Effects of Techniques that Manipulate Soft Tissue
- Client Assessment, Reassessment, & Treatment Planning
- Overview of Massage & Bodywork History/Culture/Modalities
- Ethics, Boundaries, Laws, Regulations
- Guidelines for Professional Practice
Utah State Law and Rule Examination: This exam is part of the application. It is composed of 20 true/false questions. It is an open reference book test.
How to Apply for the License: Candidates must provide the Division the following documents: (1) completed application; (2) transcript of completed course of study; (3) fingerprinting and criminal background check ; and (4) verification of passage of the MBLEx. Candidates must send the documents to:
Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
160 East 300 South
PO Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741
Phone: (801) 530-6628
Fees: There are fees to apply to become a licensed massage therapist.
Who Administers the Massage Tests: The MBLEx is administered by the the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB).
License Renewal Requirements: A massage therapist must renew her license every two years.
Applicable Regulations: Massage therapists in Utah are governed by Utah Massage Therapy Practice Act 58-47b and the Massage Practice Act Rule R156-47b.
And take Tests.com’s Massage Therapist Practice Tests: